LAWPRO’s in-house research function contributes to and maintains an extensive database of cases, articles, opinions, pleadings and facta to support Claims Counsel and outside counsel in the claims resolution process. We are currently seeking a Research Lawyer to join the LAWPRO claims team.
Our successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to quickly get up to speed on complicated legal issues, undertake thorough literature reviews and synthesize materials from multiple sources in a meaningful way. Working closely with the current Research Lawyer, our Research Lawyer will assist in providing high quality legal advice and opinions to LAWPRO and its outside counsel as it relates to legal issues relevant to LAWPRO’s claims portfolio. Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills aid in effectively sharing critical assessments of leading cases and/or emerging trends in a variety of formats including seminars for CPD accreditation. Superior organization skills and expertise in leveraging technology (to organize and catalogue in LAWPRO’s research database) will ensure that users are readily able to access online and print materials.
In this role you will:
- assist in building and maintaining LAWPRO’s in-house database of cases, articles, opinions, and facta;
- research and respond to queries from Claims Counsel and/or outside counsel including formal legal opinions and “short answer” responses;
- assist in publishing “Leading Cases”, by seeking out Canadian and English cases, published and unpublished, relevant to LAWPRO claims, summarize them, and share with Claims Counsel and outside counsel;
- assist in drafting pleadings for our external and subrogation counsel;
- work with internal stakeholders to review, recommend and successfully implement enhancements to the classification and organization of LAWPRO’s “leading cases” database;
- co-ordinate in-house seminars for CPD accreditation including recommending timely and relevant topics to be addressed;
- develop and deliver presentations on risk management or claims related issues.
- high level of specialized expertise in legal malpractice jurisprudence;
- basic knowledge of substantive law in various practice areas;
- good legal analytical skills as well as demonstrated ability to conduct legal research using Quicklaw, the internet and other sources as applicable;
- excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable presenting research findings to internal/external audiences;
- ability to work with minimal supervision and also as part of a team;
- strong customer service focus as well as patience and tact in dealing with Claims Counsel and outside counsel;
- strong organizational skills and the ability to meet demanding deadlines;
- experience leveraging technology to logically organize, catalogue and retrieve data;
- licensed and in good standing as a lawyer in Canada.
If you are interested in this unique opportunity, please reply in confidence to recruiting.ultipro.ca/LAW5001LWPI
Interested applicants should submit their application by March 31, 2022
Diversity and inclusion matter at LAWPRO. If contacted for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Hybrid work options are available.