Senior Manager, TitlePLUS Underwriting
Reports to Vice President, TitlePLUS
Employment type: Full-time (Permanent)
Location: Toronto, Ontario
The successful candidate will be responsible for leading the TitlePLUS underwriting team and oversee their performance, development and ensure policies and procedures are followed. Responsibilities include defining procedures for risk criteria, application, and decision-making on real estate and title insurance matters.
This role reports to the VP of TitlePLUS. There will be active collaboration with the VP and the leadership team in departmental planning, budgeting, and strategy development
- Competitive salary
- Generous Benefits and Vacation Package
- Pension Plan
- Hybrid option available
- Review online applications and subscriber inquiries, applying underwriting knowledge to determine insurability.
- Analyze the risk of future claims, offering coverage for issues with sufficient equity and low indicators of mortgage default.
- Stay informed about changes in real estate, business, and title insurance law in Canadian jurisdictions where TitlePLUS operates.
- Identify and adapt underwriting practices in response to changes in real estate law in specific jurisdictions.
- Research competitors and market conditions to develop risk selection criteria supporting sound risk management.
- Manage and coordinate the underwriting team’s work with other TitlePLUS groups.
- Provide feedback on job performance, conduct annual goal setting, and perform performance reviews for the underwriting team.
- Assist and guide the underwriting team, acting as the final decision-maker when necessary.
- Create and maintain standardized underwriting procedures for consistency in practice and policy.
- Develop new underwriting policies to meet evolving customer needs and promote the growth of products and services.
- 5+ years’ underwriting experience with deep understanding of title insurance
- 2+ years’ experience in the practice of law, including real estate, preferred Possess strong customer service skills that include building rapport, identifying needs and problem resolution
- 2+ years of management experience
- Bachelor of Laws/Juris Doctor and Member of Law Society of Ontario in good standing, strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of Real Estate law and practice. Understanding of small business and insurance law desirable but not essential
To apply, please click here
Interested applicants should submit their application by November 30, 2023
Diversity and inclusion matter at LAWPRO. If contacted for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.