Permanent. Reports to Vice President, Underwriting and Customer Service
The Underwriting Counsel plays an essential role in assessing client risk as well as providing legal and underwriting research, analysis, documentation, review and advice to the Underwriting and Customer Service Department, our customers, and other sectors of the Company on a variety of matters. This role is ideal for an individual who is looking to contribute to the development of professional liability insurance for Ontario legal professionals, who has a broad understanding of areas of practice and the risks lawyers face in their profession, and who wants to accelerate their career within the insurance industry in a rewarding and dynamic workplace.
As Underwriting Counsel at LAWPRO the primary responsibilities will include:
- Underwriting activities with respect to LAWPRO’s primary and excess professional liability insurance programs. This can include research, reviewing applications and making underwriting determinations, conducting underwriting audits, drafting manuscript endorsements and more.
- Policy drafting and coverage analysis. In particular, Underwriting Counsel respond to all complex coverage queries.
- Playing a key role on risk management projects such as corporate insurance and reinsurance purchases and contract management.
- Assisting annually with various Executive, Board and Committee Reports.
- Creating and maintaining guidelines and records.
- Representing LAWPRO by giving presentations and drafting articles on underwriting issues as well as undertaking special projects as assigned.
The Underwriting Counsel will be a valued professional with both legal knowledge and insurance experience for the Underwriting and Customer Service Department, as well as for other departments within LAWPRO.
The ideal candidate should:
- be licensed and in good standing as a lawyer in Canada;
- have claims or underwriting experience in the insurance industry;
- have extensive knowledge of professional liability insurance;
- have general knowledge of business insurance products;
- have two or more years of experience in private practice;
- be very organized, detail-oriented and able to meet demanding deadlines;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong communication skills written and verbal (French is an asset);
- have a well-developed systems and technology knowledge base.
Interested applicants should submit their application by June 30, 2022
Diversity and inclusion matter at LAWPRO. If contacted for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Hybrid work options are available.