Articling Students (2)
The Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company is hiring for two articling positions in Toronto for the 2024-2025 articling term.
Lawyers’ Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO®), a licensed insurance company wholly owned by the Law Society of Ontario, provides professional liability insurance to all practicing Ontario lawyers. LAWPRO directs the legal defence of insured lawyers against whom a covered action has been commenced. LAWPRO also provides title insurance across Canada through its TitlePLUS program and offers optional run-off and excess professional liability insurance for lawyers.
The articling students complete two rotations in the LAWPRO articling program: one in each of the Claims Department and the Office of the General Counsel. The Articling Students will be assigned a mentor in each rotation who will co-ordinate assignments and provide assistance and feedback.
The articling student experience at LAWPRO commonly includes:
- legal research and memoranda on all areas of law, with an emphasis on solicitors’ risk management and liability;
- assisting legal counsel with pleadings, research, motions, and trial preparation;
- preparing arbitration briefs and representing LAWPRO at arbitrations;
- attendance at pre-trial conferences, mediations, discoveries and trial;
- assisting LAWPRO Executive and in-house counsel with corporate matters related to legal, compliance, underwriting and risk;
- legal research and memoranda related to real estate law as it pertains to underwriting TitlePLUS title insurance;
- assisting with researching and drafting articles and papers for publication and/or external presentation;
- participation in a comprehensive orientation program.
The ideal candidate should:
- be a candidate for law school graduation in the spring 2024 or a recent law school graduate, with excellent grades;
- have strong research, writing, and presentation skills;
- be conversant with MS Office and Westlaw;
- be energetic, detail-oriented, and consistently successful at meeting deadlines.
Click here to apply.
- All interested candidates should send their resume, cover letter and transcripts
- Deadline for application is September 22, 2023
- First interviews will occur October 2-6, 2023
Hybrid work options are available.
If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
Diversity and inclusion matter at the LAWPRO. If contacted for an interview, please advise if you require accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.