Skip to Content

Changes in Practice Status

Looking for definitions of terms?

Expand All » Hide All »

I may be taking a leave of absence from my practice. Do I have to continue to purchase the practice coverage under the primary LSO program?

If you meet the rules of eligibility for exemption (c), which is available to LAWYERS on a temporary leave of absence, you may complete an Application for Exemption prior to the commencement of your leave of absence. You are entitled to a return of premium while you are on a leave of absence, subject to a minimum 30 days premium and limited to the 30-day period immediately preceding LAWPRO’s receipt of your written notice. For those carrying the Real Estate Practice Coverage Option, we are not able to backdate for this 30-day period.

I am currently a SOLE PRACTITIONER but will be setting up a partnership with another LAWYER (also a SOLE PRACTITIONER). What do I need to do to let LAWPRO know and what effect does that have on my practice coverage under the primary LSO program?

LAWYERS practising in association, partnership, or in a law partnership are required to have Innocent Party coverage. In addition, as you will now be practising in a partnership, all LAWYERS are required to have the same insurance coverage options.

I have recently left a LAW FIRM to work as a SOLE PRACTITIONER. Does LAWPRO automatically cancel the practice coverage I had while with my former LAW FIRM? If so, what do I do to get my practice coverage reinstated?

The practice coverage provided to you under the primary LSO program applies to the individual LAWYER and is not limited to any one LAW FIRM. If you leave one LAW FIRM to join another, your coverage follows you. Written instructions are required to make any changes to your status and POLICY coverage options.

I was recently appointed to the bench. What happens to my practice coverage?

Those appointed to the bench are exempt from the requirement to purchase program coverage and are provided, free of charge, standard Run-Off Coverage of $250,000 per CLAIM and in the aggregate, subject to a $5,000 DEDUCTIBLE per CLAIM. This coverage is a one-time limit and is not re-instated annually. Run-Off Coverage applies only to CLAIMS arising out of PROFESSIONAL SERVICES provided while you were in private practice.

We recommend that judges consider applying for additional Run-Off limit protection beyond this standard Run-Off Coverage. Additional Run-Off Coverage limits of $500,000 per CLAIM/$500,000 in the aggregate, and $1 million per CLAIM/$2 million in the aggregate, are available. For further details, refer to the “Insurance Matters for Retired Lawyers” booklet which provides more detail regarding the Run-Off coverage, as well as answers some of the questions you may have when assessing what exposures may arise out of your past practice.

If you wish to be provided with a no-obligation estimate, please complete and submit an Application to Increase Run-Off Coverage.

I am currently on exemption and wish to return to private practice. What should I do?

Ontario LAWYERS who return to practice must complete an Application for Insurance – New Applicants form. The applicant must include an effective date, the area(s) of practice, premium payment information/authorization, as well as other pertinent information requested on the Application Form.

I’ve advised the Law Society in writing of my upcoming change in status. Do I need to let LAWPRO know as well?

If you’re changing LAW FIRMS, address, or changing your status (going into or out of private practice) notify both LAWPRO and the LSO separately of these changes.

LAWPRO and the LSO maintain completely separate information databases and, in keeping with their respective mandates, generally do not share information that LAWYERS may consider confidential or proprietary.

Back to top